Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Hop Farming

Now that I finally have the space to do it, I'm going to take a stab at growing my own hops. I spent six hours on Sunday digging through some VERY rocky topsoil to build an enclosed planter on the south side of the house. After I framed it in, I filled it with some moisture control soil and planted my rhizomes - one Cascade and one Centennial. I hope that I get enough this harvest season to wethop a Pale Ale or an IPA.

This is the first of many backyard projects I'll be working on this spring. Next up, I'll be planting some wine grapes and building a training system with some wooden posts and steel wire.

I didn't take too many pictures, but here's a couple:
Watering, after the planter was built. The two mounds are the rhizomes after planting.

That was the last of three wheelbarrows full of rocks and gravel.

No comments:

Post a Comment