Thursday, December 18, 2014

Tropical Rye IPA


Last month I brewed a tribute to one of my favorite beers, Tropical Heat Ruination. I started with my go-to Rye IPA base, switching to more tropical-forward hops such as Mosaic and Simtra, as well as Gigayeast's Vermont IPA (Heady Topper) yeast. Then, as I tend to do, I dialed it up to 11 with 5 pounds of actual tropical fruit, as well as some pepper extract I made from splitting a few habaneros and ghost in half and soaking them in tequila - that way I could adjust to taste at kegging.
Very few roadbumps on this beer - a sign I may finally be getting dialed in at the house - although the beer did nearly explode. I had so many pellet hops in the fermenter that they actually clogged the blow-off tube and the entire assembly plus maybe 1/3 gallon of wort literally exploded out of the carboy and all over the interior of my fermentation chamber. After primary I dry-hopped with an additional 4 ounces of Citra and Mosaic.
 
Here's some additional photos from the brew day, transferring/dry hop and kegging.
 
Everything ready. Mangoes in the boil? Why not.
Explosion.

Transferring to secondary for more hops.

Dry hops.

Final gravity, 1.009. Nice and dry.

Kegging.

On tap.

No comments:

Post a Comment