Sunday, March 11, 2012

Wolfberry Mead

Today I made a wolfberry mead. Wolfberries (aka goji berries) are one of those trendy "superfoods" along with açai berries, pomegranates, etcetera, and are high in beta-carotene. They taste somewhat like a cross between a raspberry, a banana, and a carrot, and are a bright orange color.

Anyway, I found a 16 ounce jar of wolfberry juice at the store, so decided I'd make a mead since my friend Chad seems to have inspired a round of exotic food meadmaking (he's currently doing things such as kiwi, durian, and kaffir lime meads) so I thought I'd join the party. I'm using a fairly simple recipe: 3 pounds of mesquite honey, 16 oz. of wolfberry juice, water to bring it up to a gallon, and a packet of Lalvin 71B-1122 yeast. I hope to be able to bottle it in 6-8 months, but with the cool temperatures here in Reno (the house never gets above 65°F) it may be ready sooner.

Adding the wolfberry juice.
Adding the honey.
After the package of dry yeast was added.

No comments:

Post a Comment