Friday, August 10, 2012

Double IPA update

The double IPA has been happily fermenting along for a week and a half, so this morning before I went to work I was able to add the first dryhop addition.
I have been expirementing with adding dryhops to primary after the fermentation has died down in order to require one less racking if I am doing multiple dryhop additions (I will still rack to secondary if I am only doing one addition). This way, I avoid oxygenation and contamination issues just a little bit more. I also try to flush my carboys with C02 when lots of hops are involved.
I added 1 ounce of Cascade hops and an ounce of HBC 342 experimental hops that are described as grapefruit/watermelon/floral, which I feel should pair nicely with the Simcoe, Cascade, and Centennial that I will be adding in the second and third hop additions.
Next Sunday I will add another ounce of Cascade and an ounce of Simcoe, followed by a third and final hop addition of an ounce each of Simcoe and Centennial.



No comments:

Post a Comment