Friday, August 31, 2012

Red Flanders update

Last night I took the first sample of my cherrywood flanders red. It has been a great test of my patience to not crack it open, but I knew that trying it any earlier than six months in would be a waste of time.
It was a bit thinner than I had hoped, but the color and overall flavor profile are showing promise. I was waiting on a taste test before decided whether or not I would add fruit, but I feel that the cherries will give the bugs some additional food to sour it up a little more.
I added 4 pounds of canned cherries (3 pounds of Montmorecy cherries and one pound of a sweet Queen Anne variety). I'm going to ignore it for another 3-6 months, and then hopefully it'll be ready to bottle.

No comments:

Post a Comment