Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Coffee: Extreme DIY Edition

Coffee berries. They sorta taste like grapes...

Not simply content with roasting my own coffee, this past summer I took the further step of growing and drying my own beans as well. I gathered approximately a pound of coffee berries, and removed the flesh from them, exposing the seeds, which will eventually become coffee beans.

I air-dried them for 3 days, removing the paper husk surrounding the bean. I then roasted them in a cast iron pan (not the ideal method, but I didn't have access to a coffee roaster at the time).


Finally, I ground them and make a cup of coffee. A bit light, very tasty. I don't think it's worth the time investment - I've since gone back to buying gourmet coffee. I might revisit this one day in the future when I have a greenhouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment